Tuesday 29 July 2008

break & mend.

So I have this awesome aunt whom i call my Auntie Bethie. She's way cool. For my birthday last year, she took me to the Philadelphia Art Museum (We were going to go to an Andrew Bird show in Philly, but the CB East talent show was the same night........ ... ..... .. . .. . . . . . .) Auntie Bethie, though I don't know if she knows it or not, is going to take me to get my first tattoo, whenever that happens.

Anyways, this wonderful aunt of mine commented on my post 'and so tears came', & i think what she said is insightful, & I very much agree. So i'm posting it here:

"Guarding ones heart is a tricky task...don't guard it so closely as to be afraid to let someone in..there is a thin line between guarding the doors of our heart and shutting the door. Remember that God has purpose in everything he allows to happen in our lives and that through heartache comes healing...a broken heart is also open."

I know heartbreak is meant to happen in everyone's life. It makes us grow, & it leaves room for deeper love to come. I think I've pounded the phrase 'guard your heart' into my head so much this past year that I've forgotten that it's important to let people [aka boys] in as well. So, thanks for the wee reminder auntie bethie =]

However, I think it's important to guard your heart a little in the sense that you don't pour your emotions out to just anybody. It's good to dance, but i think we should save our feet from dancing with just anyone at all. [Duke Special, "Freewheel"] I think the movies & songs these days advocate that it's ok to become emotionally connected to absolutely anyone. For instance,in a lot of flicks, the protagonist couple always has a scene where they spill their hearts out to eachother, & then sleep together. Like, what's that all about? That's not how it's meant to work. [It's like, Girl: "I had an awful childhood"; Guy: "I had an awful childhood too"; Both: "Wow, we're meant for eachother....let's have sex" .....ok, ridiculous.] And then the next day is great, but then something unspeakable happens, then comes the chase scene, & finally the happy couple magically ends up together. THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS.

K, sorry, went off on a tangent there.
I think what i'm trying to get at is, people these days think it's OK to spill their deepest feelings to absolutely anyone, thus emotinally connecting themselves to whomever & thinking it's ok to date them. But when the time comes for the break-up [which is inevitable in relationships such as this], it's way messier & broken than it ever needed to be. And what could've been a beautiful friendship had they realized they weren't meant to become romantic, is gone.

I just feel so sad for people who bring unnecessary heartbreak onto themselves.

1 comment:

N said...

I liked this a lot Amanda =) love you!